Saturday, February 23, 2013

Churches, Smurches

So after a pretty shitty week, I am trying to get my 
mojo pumping again.
I was inspired by the current challenge at the Smeared and Smudged facebook groupto create a project using the chalk board technique.
I also was inspired to play along with Stampotique's challenge 
of using text in your work.

Here is my latest journal page using "Hunk" from Stampotique.
I inked him with Versamark, and then used white embossing powder
to give the chalkboard effect on the black paper. I have yet to find a good white ink to use. The ones I have don't cover very well, leaving a ghost
image, not a solid white image.
  If memory serves me correctly, our chalkboards were green in school
(circa 1970's), not black.
But I digress...  

I used Dylusions inks to create the background. I love the effect you 
get when you splash water on the dried inks and then the water 
leeches the ink out of the paper. I also do this to remove ink with my 
stencils and a roll of paper towels.

I tried a new technique of sprinkling embossing powder on the
project, and heating it from beneath. In the tutorial I saw, they
used a new chunky embossing powder, but this worked just fine. 

And lastly, my social commentary on the recent (and not so recent)
scandals rocking the Catholic faiths and the recent "resignation" of the 
current Pope. Not trying to offend anyone( just a happy accident),
but am feeling good about my creation. 
I used one of the fabulous church stamps, called Holy City
from Smeared Ink, and stamped it onto an old dictionary page 
(great thrift store find, although I stole mine from high school 
back in the 80's. I don't recommend stealing, though),
with the definitions for church and chump on it, 
and then heat embossed it in black. The Infectious Waste stamp  
is new from Viva Las Vegas stamps.
I like the effect.   

Thanks for dropping by.
Have a creepy day!   

7 comments:

  1. Oh this is soooo awesome. I love all the effects Glo ..... amazingly and gorgeous and very fitting :-) !!!
    Many hugz my little Chum xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. D'ya know .. I can't work out why - if I am Following you like wot I am - that it doesn't show me every time you put up a new post !!!!?? Don't know why this would be... it's yours and at least 1 other friend that I know of so far :-( xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. super spooky! <3 it! thanks for sharing your creation over at SDC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW I love your embossing and use of text on this. What a very striking piece. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Stampotique and I hope next week is better for you :-) Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the techniques you have used they are brill. Your stuff is always amazing though. I have a few of your cards in my new crafting area and they still just WOW me every time I see them. xxxx

      Delete
  5. Really Like this one.... Thanks for sharing with us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge this week.
    See you again soon.
    Sarinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I just love your creepy creation! That embossing powder technique is fab. And I'm with you - our chalkboards were green. :-D Thanks for joining us at the Stampotique Designers Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment or just vent.